Date and Walnut Shortcakes
- 1 350g pack Sainsbury’s Shortbread block (manufactured by BakeAway)
- 50g Sainsbury’s chopped dried dates
- 50g Sainsbury’s walnut pieces
- 3 tbsp Sainsbury’s apricot jam
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ orange –zest only
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Remove shortbread block from the fridge 1 hour before required.
- Pre heat the oven to 180C / Fan 160C / Gas Mark 4
- Grease a shallow 20cm square baking tin.
- Press the shortbread into the base of the tin and smooth the top.
- Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until edges are just golden.
- Mix the jam with lemon juice and spread evenly over the hot base.
- Beat the egg white until soft peaks then add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff. Fold in the dates, walnuts and orange zest.
- Spoon over the biscuit and jam base and return to the oven for 15 minutes until the meringue is just firm and golden.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes before cutting into 16 squares.